Skip to main content

Your Brain on Music: Why the Songs We Love Matter

Music Is More Powerful Than We Realize

    Music is all around us, at the store, in the car, at work, at home. But we dont always think about what it is actually doing to our minds. Music is so powerful it can change our moods in an instant. I personally find this to be so true. I went on a trip to New York City a little while back. I was really feeling overwhelmed by the hustle and bustle, constant noise, and endless craziness. I started to have an anxiety attack and started crying on the subway. How embarrassing. My boyfriend offered me his headphones. I put them on noise cancelation and played some music. Instantly, I started to calm down. I was amazed at how well this actually works for me. I don't know why I got overwhelmed, I just think I require the quiet sometimes or less chatter. But I do know, music is a beautiful gift.

Music Can Change Your Mood

    We all listen to music, most of us every single day. Have you ever been in a terrible mood, but then you go to put on your favorite music and suddenly you are dancing around your house and suddenly everything just melts away? I am so with you, and many others are as well. Here is some scientific research to back up that music carries the vibes:

- Music can influence emotion regulation: A 2023 systematic review and meta-analysis looked at eight randomized control studies involving 441 participants. Researchers found a statistically significant effect of musical activities - including listening to music - on people's ability to regulate emotions. They found that there was a statistically significant improvement in emotion regulation.

- Music can increase positive feelings after stress: A systematic review of experimental studies found several studies where people who listened to music after experiencing stress reported greater positive affect than people who didn't listen to music. 

Why Certain Songs Bring Back Memories

    Have you ever been listening to music and then a song comes on and it makes you think of something, someone, or a certain event? That is because music holds your memories. It triggers your brain to remember something. I know some people that will create a song while studying because it says that it helps them to remember. I constantly think.. ya know what I can remember all these songs but not every day facts. But that is besides the point. The point is, music can help you to remember memories that you thought were gone forever. Here is some evidence to support this:

- Charactterization of Music-Envoked Autobiographical Memories: This study wanted to understand what happens when music from somoene's past triggers a personal memory. Participants listened to excerpts of popular songs, and researchers asked them questions about any memories and emotions the songs brought up. The participants ended up claiming that the songs took them back to a particular time in their lives in which they heard that particular song.

- Differential Effects of Familiarity and Emotional Expression of Musical Cues on Autobiographical Memory Properties: Researchers recruited 100 young adults and played them 24 different musical excerpts. The songs varied according to how familiar they were and their emotional characteristics. Whenever a song triggered a personal memory, participants described it. Researchers could then examine whether things like familiarity, emotional tone, and emotional intensity of the music affected the memories people recalled. They found that familiarity was one of the biggest factors. Familiar songs triggered about three times as may autobiographical memories as unfamiliar songs. People also recalled memories faster when listening to familiar music.

Music and Stress

    As you could probably guess, music can actually lower our stress levels. This was evident for me when I was freaking out on the subway. Many others feel this way as well. Whenever I have been in a group (usually a college course), they will ask what we do when we feel stressed. Many people agree that music is helpful for them in these moments. Research agrees as well:

- The Effect of Music on the Human Stress Response: Researchers recruited 60 women and randomly placed them into three different groups. Before undergoing a standardized stressful task, participants either:

1. listened to relaxing classical music
2. listened to the sound of rippling water
3. rested in silence

Then everyone completed a stressful task involving public speaking and mental arithmetic in front of an audience. Researchers found that listening to relaxing music showed faster recovery from the stressful event than those without sound.

- Increase in Salivary Oxytocin and Decrease in Salivary Cortisol After Listening to Relaxing Slow-Tempo and Exciting Fast-Tempo Music: Researchers watned to investigate how music affects both hormones associated with stress and relaxation and the automatic nervous system. The participants listened to both slow-tempo, relaxing music and fast-tempo, exciting music. They found that the slow relaxing music resulted in participants having lower stress levels and a lower heart rate. 

When Music Isn't Helping

    We all know that sometimes, music can trigger us to feel certain emotions. When we are sad, listening to a happy song will increase our mood in a more positive direction. But what about when it doesn't help us. There are times when our emotions are affected in negative ways. Like when we are sad and a song comes on that makes you feel worse. Or maybe the music is overwhelming. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I have a friend who used to tell me she was sad and then would play sad music. She was in a way self sabotaging herself. I asked her why we couldn't just play upbeat music to try to help her feel happy and she just wanted to wallow in self pity. Sometimes its a subconscious thing that happens. Sometimes we listen to music that is too exciting and it gives us a jolt of anxiety. 
    Our job is to learn what music habits we have that are helpful and which ones are harmful. It is hard for us to determine when we are doing subconsciously. But we should try to notice if there are any patterns in how we listen to music. The next time you are upset, pay attention to the music you choose to listen to. You might find that your choice of music is keeping in that hole of unhappiness. Choosing the correct music to influence our moods can really help a lot. For me music is a god send and I do not go even 1 day without it. 

Final Thought - Press Play

    Music is so much more than background noise. Although, sometimes it is just that, background noise. Music can become attached to memories, help us process emotions, motivate us, comfort us, and sometimes say something we're struggling to put into words. 
    I think that is what makes music so beautiful. A song can take us back to a moment we haven't thought about in years, completely change our mood, or help us calm down when the world feels a little too loud. After looking into the research, I have a whole new appreciation for something that I use every single day.
    So, pay attention to the music you chose and how it makes you feel. Find the songs that bring you peace, make you happy, and remind you of the moments you never want to forget. And sometimes, when life gets a little too loud, put on your headphones and press play.







Comments